Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"Birds Nest", graphite on paper 




 Sometimes it is nice to get back to basics and draw objects from life as you see them. For me it is like using the other side of my brain to do math...I have to really focus and concentrate on it. One of my favorite teachers always said "Make it sing..." as one was working on a painting. That's how we knew the painting was done, when it sang. I'm not so sure these images sing, they are not as delicate as I would have liked...I saw them as more airy. I think you can see my struggle in them to not get carried off in a tangent like my more intuitive work, but to stick to the path. Drawing realistically in graphite is a good exercise for me from time to time, it certainly keeps me humble.

"Poppy Seed Heads" graphite on paper

2 comments: